With a long track record of investment success, Chartres Lodging focuses on an investment philosophy that finds value in under-performing, well-located, full-service lodging, conference center, and resort assets. Distressed assets of specific interest include those which present compelling value enhancement upside, i.e. revenue management shortcomings, expense inefficiencies, brand and management alternatives, product enhancement opportunities through targeted renovation, as well as excess land features.
Collaborative Approach to the Investment Process
The Chartres Lodging professionals all take on a collaborative approach to investing, beginning in the early stages of the investment process. Each department’s role in the investment process is detailed below:
- Capital-Aligned with institutionally minded investors through an employee investment program, we make value-add investments with a 3 to 6 year holding horizon; we have invested over $3.2 billion since 2003
- Acquisitions– Our transactions team is active in gateway markets with a particular focus on pursuing off-market, distressed asset opportunities.
- Asset Management– Resourced with career professionals, our asset management team is dedicated to driving profits and enhancing value.
- Property Management– Kokua Hospitality is a fully staffed property management company created to implement our asset strategies with the maximum efficiency and profit performance.
- Development Management– With nearly $1 billion of experience we prioritize on-time and on-budget renovations that maximize revenue production from every space.
- Finance & Accounting- With a focus on our fiduciary responsibilities we maintain the partnership books, oversee tax filings, audits and loan compliance and aggressively manage cash.
By linking all pillars of the organization and tapping into each department’s specialized area of focus, the Chartres Lodging team is able to smoothly start the transition process, uncover and better understand asset challenges, devise creative and value enhancing solutions, and reduce investment risk.
Sales to Institutional Investors
Upon completion of turnaround renovations and repositionings, assets are considered for sale or recapitalization to institutional quality investors. The last five hotels sold by Chartres have been acquired by REITs including Diamondrock, Ashford, RLJ, and Pebblebrook.
If you are interested in speaking to Chartres Lodging about investment and partnership opportunities, please contact one of our hospitality investment professionals .